Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Happy Halloween

Our's was filled with parties, haunted houses (where I screamed Adam-style and scared the little kids who were trying to scare me), church chili dinners, and ending with the climactic trick or treating around our fun neighborhood.Michael was Steve Prefontaine, and I was actually surprised how many people recognized him. I guess we are in U of O territory. I was Miss Piggy pathetically, due to lack of time to prepare a costume. Or, rather, failing to take the time to prepare a real costume. Isaac was a Ninja. Why does at least one child always want to be a Ninja? He didn't like the "safety tip" on the end of his sword, so he opted out of bringing it lest his menacing aura be jeopardized. Jake was a "BYU werewolf," though halfway through the evening he decided the latex holding the hair onto his face and hands bugged him so he rubbed it all off. I endeavored not to show my irritation at this since it took me FOREVER to put it on him. I flatly refused to put it on for the next event, so he decided to be a pile of laundry pinning articles of clothes all over his body, undies on the head. Meg was Rapunzel, James a Terrible Two because he refused to wear his costume, (though, in truth, a nicer two-year old there has never been), and Will was ... you guessed it, a "chameleon lizard!" Audrey was a BYU cougar cheerleader (pictured below).

A note about Will. He had wanted originally to be a Jackson chameleon, but I didn't know how to do the horns on his forehead so I said he could be a panther chameleon with really bright colors, a hood and curly tail, crest down his spine and a pink blow-out tongue (with a bug glued to the end). All that stuff was cool, but he really wanted horns. Then Clara saved the day by making him a crown, which she taped to his forehead and began calling him King Chameleon. "Who needs horns when you have a crown, Will?" Problem solved. Thank you, Clara. This boy (lower left) was our model. How did we do?

Our sweet neighbor prepared trick or treat bags for the kids since she wasn't going to be home that night. Audrey's contained this little Halloween gift along with some baby food and a coupon for 50 cents off rice cereal. She became a cross between a Cougar cheerleader, Pippi Longstocking, and a witch. We are blessed with some very thoughtful neighbors.

A Happy Halloween to your families. Hope it was a fun-filled day!

3 comments:

Norris Fam said...

The kids look adorable...but you and Michael are crackin' me up big time!

Just Us said...

At first glance I thought you would be "Mrs Swine Flu" or something like that. Love your costumes. You always make me laugh. Your baby girl makes the cutest BYU cheerleader I have ever seen.

Allens, Inc. said...

And the stoutest.