Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Conference

Elder Marlin K. Jensen of the Seventy visited our stake conference this last weekend. Where meetings are sometimes a drag, Michael and I both agreed these were particularly good. I was riveted the entire two hours during the adult session. It might have had something to do with the fact that I didn't have six kids climbing on me (Michael took them trick or treating. I was at the piano for a special musical number so I had to go--twist my arm!), but Elder Jensen was a particularly interesting, experienced, insightful speaker. He is an attorney so his thought process and logic especially appealed to me, he reminded me of my dad. You can always spot them! I wish I could have recorded the whole thing so I could reproduce it here, but I'll spare you all and leave the elaborations for my journal.

One of many thoughts that struck me was that "the license of a parent will become the liberty of the child." That is, he said, perhaps the best argument for orthodoxy. It made me take a hard look and determine just how this counsel applies, as it assuredly does.
So while Michael was at his stake leadership meeting I was finishing up with soccer games and the lawn. But what was Michael doing while I was away at my meeting? I walked in the door, called "Honey, I'm home! What have you all been up to?"
He grinned his rascally grin and said, " I've been busy."
(It is possible a clarification is in order: Notice that Isaac is missing his top two teeth, and Meg the bottom two. Dad's been busy indeed. Isaac said his hope is that they won't start growing in until after Christmas so that he can sing All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth. Clara thinks that's dumb. She wants her's to grow in ASAP because "they're going to be really big and sharp for biting." I assume she means biting her dinner.)

4 comments:

Meredith said...

I love the quotes from your kids at the top. I actually had the nickname Sassafras in high school (only with one friend though, and her nickname was Rhododendron. I have no memory of why we chose these names).

J said...

I came away from that conference declaring that it was the best stake conference I had ever attended. And to think that I was going to miss it to go Trick-or-Treating!! I am so glad I found a sitter so that I could go. It changed my life.

Whitney said...

"Tickling the ivories"--that cracked me up in your email. I'm still laughing.

Chace & Rivka said...

We love Elder Jensen. We affectionately call him "Marlin K" around here. He's one of our favorites. And that picture of Isaac & Clara is cute. Can't wait to see all the critters in just a MONTH!!!