Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Monday, June 1, 2009

Audrey and Isaac

For Grandmas and Grandpas who haven't seen the gem yet. Here she is at exactly 1 week...
We are enjoying this little girl more than I can say. What a nice addition she is to our family already. We will be blessing her this Sunday, then having Isaac's baptism in the afternoon. For all friends and family available, you are welcome to join us for these two special events.

And speaking of Isaac... Here are a few little anecdotes about our freshly turned eight-years-old boy. This kid is in love with animals, bugs and pets of all kinds. His latest run turned into quite an inconvenience, so I had to ban all pets (except Seamus, of course) for a time to give myself a breather.

It started with honey bee collecting. For a couple of days Isaac's, Clara's and Will's every spare minute was spent catching bees. (Will would catch them with his hands and never was stung. Don't know how he did it!) The kicker came when they were adding some to their bottle and accidentally let out about 20 bees in the house. They spent a long time trying to catch them again, and we've been finding bees everywhere. Honey producing project over.

So they moved on to newts. Michael taught Isaac the art of newt catching: Thoroughly soak the ground around the outside garbage can, leave it for a day or so, then move the can quickly and there you will find the prize. (I think they're newts anyway. Crying shame that I don't know for sure.) Anyway, Isaac caught about 4 of them. One had gotten "smeared" a little when they moved the gargabe can, so he had some guts showing. Isaac excitedly came and told me he had fixed the one with the guts problem. "What do you mean 'fixed'?"

"Oh, I just trimmed off the extras that were outside its body!" Problem solved. Needless to say, the fixed newt didn't flourish. It died and stunk, and the newt project was scrubbed.

That evening, as I kissed the boys and put them to bed, I went to open their window and found a piece of strawberry on the sill, pink juice soaking into the paint. "Isaac, do you know anything about this?" With a grin he told me to look closer--the strawberry was food for something. All over the screen wingless little flies were crawling and hopping around. Upon inquiry he said, "Well, I didn't want to have to catch them all over again!" Obviously! Flies were let out to perish on the roof, and a ban was placed on fly catching.

I'm such a wet blanket!

Next came the worst of all. Somewhere (and I really don't want to know where) Isaac found a cache of maggots. I came upon this project a hair too late when I found maggots squirming all over a potted plant on the kitchen windowsill. "ISAAC!!" He said that he had found some worms, and worms are good for plants, so he and Meg had packed as many worms into each of my house plants as they could. They spent the next couple of hours unpotting several plants, cleaning off roots, picking out maggots, then repotting them. Then they decided to go get a couple of chickens to clean up the mess. Maggots gone. Unfortunately, we have had an unusual number of flies in the house the last week or so. Where are they all coming from?

All pets are banned. Maybe as a late birthday gift I'll let him start catching things again. Who knows?

11 comments:

JennyLynn said...

Yuck! You need to write a book about these adventures, Anna!

Kelli said...

Anna, you are an amazingly patient woman!!!

Bjorn to Rok said...

Okay, well first, Audrey is the cutest baby! I can't wait to see her and spend time with her in a couple days so I can be her favorite auntie. I'm surprised how bright eyed she is. She's beautiful. Now, Isaac, he is the funniest kid I've ever known. He's a legend! I sure love you and I'll call you about this weekend. Can't wait!! Don't forget.

Meredith said...

Audrey is beautiful! She seems very aware for a one-week-old baby. And I agree with the above; you are VERY patient. And you must have a strong stomach because I'm pretty sure the bugs and newts would make me nauseous.

Jeannetta said...

Audrey is gorgeous, well done! :)
You know, I must have been incredibly blessed as a young mother, my children NEVER dealt with bugs, critters of any sort! Whew!
Tell them to come visit, we just got a hive of bees of our very own!

Clayton and Camea said...

She's beautiful, Anna! Although Audrey is a show stopper, I especially liked the apearance of Auntie Lizzy!

Norris Fam said...

Why is it that my whole body is itching all over??? Sick and wrong I tell you...

I can't believe you're blessing #6 already...I'd still be hanging out on the couch in my pajamas! I guess that girl better get started fast if she's going to keep up with everyone. Wish I could be there :(

Ashlee Marie said...

My oldest is also getting baptized this weekend! I guess their birthday's are close. Congrats on number 6, and check out insectlore dot com We've raised everything but the frog. Now I know you can go find all of those same bugs yourself, but for us it was a really fun way to go!

Amber said...

Audrey is BEAUTIFUL! I love the bug stories. It makes me kindof wish that we had a bigger family, but wait...I am the mom, so not as fun as for the kids! :) just kidding, a little! You are the best mom ever!

Laurie said...

Laughing and gagging all the way!

Oh my heavens, that little baby is the cutest thing EVER! Is it just me or does she seem older than just a week in that video? So alert and moving around!

Good luck with all of your upcoming festivities!

J said...

The little maggots were sick. I love the video of Audrey. Her name makes me think of Audrey Hepburn, one of my favorite actresses. I still can't get over you having another girl. She is so sweet.