Also, we've had a breakthrough! Today at lunch William was saying the prayer. He said "I'm thankful for Jimmy" four times! Let me back up. This William has never quite forgiven his little brother for being born. He has never acknowledged him in a prayer until today! Most prayers go something like this:
Will begins prayer with a list of 'please help's.
I prompt him with a whispered: "And I thank thee for..."
Will, sassy look at me: "Okay, Mom!" [Then proceeds with] "Thank you for Dad, and Jacob, and Isaac, and Seamus, and Mom, and..."
Me, whispering: "Don't forget James."
Will, annoyed: "Don't interrupt, Mom! And Clara."
Me: "Don't forget James."
Will, fully irritated now: "But I'm not thankful for Jimmy, so I'm not gonna say it!"
It's about this time he gets sent away for being mean to his little brother...again.
It was starting to be a problem, so I instituted a new plan. Will gets to help James with everything. Everything. When shoes need to be put on, Will helps James find them. When we sit at the table Will is put next to James. If James is crying, Will comes with me to comfort him, etc. I was trying to apply the principle that service produces love. It was a stretch, I know, and I was wondering if it was the right approach, but today at lunch that question was answered. As usual he went around the table thanking the Lord for everybody, but this time he included his little brother. I cheered right in the middle of the prayer, "Yay, you did it! You said thank you for James!" He thought it was fun, so he did it again, and then we all cheered. So he did it again, and everybody laughed. So did it again, and I told him to knock it off and keep going with his prayer. After all, how could you not be thankful for little Jimmy? He's as sweet as they come!
3 comments:
I'll take Jimmy in a minute. I love that little boy!! David and I said if we could take one kid, it would be him. He runs around with his cute little chubby body, with a big smile on his face and his little laugh. Love that kid!!
Wait a minute...studying for what? Just for fun I hope...if you are taking some course or furthering your education while being the mother of six, I will be really embarrassed about how little I get done in a day! :) I am glad when you post a lot, they are always so enjoyable!
Just have Jacob get out his wand and shout reparo oculus (or something like that.)
Post a Comment