Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

My not so fishy fish tale

So, my awesome dental team got me an early Boss's day gift: a guided day for winter steelhead on our very own Umpqua River.  It was foggy, cold and my first time fishing for Steelhead.

On the first hole, I caught the only keeper of the day.  All natives get to live to spawn another day. 

This fresh water mussel bit down on my lead weight, bazaar huh?  Conclusion: Don't go eating fresh-water mussels because they are more likely to contain heavy metals.  Get it.  Get it. (insert annoying elbow in rib here).

It warmed up in the afternoon, and ended up being a perfect day on the river.  In 7 hours I caught 8 Steelhead ... and one fresh-water mussel.
On that "one last cast on this last hole" I got to play the prize of the day for a solid 30 minutes...
Now ladies please feign interest here on behalf of every guy that has gotten caught in the middle of a "my baby was 8 lbs 15 oz, 21 inches long and the head was 50 inches in circumference and it took 1000 hours of labor" conversations.  We get to nod like we understand and appreciate what that translates to in your ring of  gender-specific knowledge and understanding, your invisible, but very deserved badges of honor.  Of course this pales in significance but is no less real to the largely harrier half of our race.  This monster was 38 inches long, 20.5 inches in girth and weighed in at a hefty 20 lbs and 6 oz, and let me emphasize that it took a solid 30 minutes of joyous labor to land this fish. 

    
This was the hole, and this was the catch of the day.


(Anna here:  I just wanted to say, I didn't really realize just how big this fishy fish was until the guide called for the third time with how the stats compared with other record-winning fish, and prices for getting it mounted for display.  Yes, I'm proud of my brave hunter and fisherman!)

7 comments:

scooping it up said...

I've never heard of landing a fish compared to giving birth.

The fish is rather beautfiul and impressive, but would I be a little too edgy if I suggest I'd be more impressed if you'd grown it under your skin for almost a year and then proceeded to push it out of a tiny hole in your body?

Seriously, the fish is awesome. ;)

Sheri said...

How did it taste???

The Fisherman said...

The big one was released. The small one tasted a lot like trout, only a bit better. The kids all liked it, too.

MKMT said...

So, will the stuffed fish be taking the honored place above the mantle?

Chace & Rivka said...

I love it when you post, Mikey Wayney! Way to go--what a beautiful catch! I wish I could better appreciate your accomplishment, but I really know nothing about fishing. Will you take me sometime?

J said...

Wow Michael. That is incredible!! I love the comparison of women sharing baby stats with men sharing their fish stats. LOL!!

J said...

Wow Michael. That is incredible!! I love the comparison of women sharing baby stats with men sharing their fish stats. LOL!!