Jacob's latest Pinewood Derby Car. It barely missed first place in the "freestyle" race to the ambulance, fittingly enough (which weighed about as much as the kid who made it).
As I tidied the books I turned around to find myself surrounded by reverent knights. I made the mistake of asking if they were young squires. Jake rolled his eyes, "Mom! Does it look like we're wearing tights? Really!"
Later I found battle pictures on my camera. There are about 20 of these pictures with varied weaponry, so I picked one for you.
It was so much fun the others wanted to join in. They couldn't find a belt small enough to fit Jimmy's girth, so he got masking tape. Clara, of course, used it as an excuse to make a fashion statement.
I'm sure I'm related to these people somehow. I hope so anyway. Until we know for sure we'll just call them Uncle Buck and affectionate Aunt Trixie. (Mystery solved by my ever reliable father. Look in the comments for the lo-down.)
An old one I found at the bottom of the diaper bag: Our little three-person family shortly after arriving in Iowa for dental school. Do you remember these, Carrie? Your mom was so sweet to take them! I love Michael's smile--the smile of the innocent about to enter the realm of hell. Like the baby cooing to the nice nurse before she brutally administers the shots; like the 4-H lamb gleefully parading around the ring at fair time as people call out how much they'd like to pay per pound of his flesh; like Istefan the turkey given a trail of grain to lure him to the chopping block where a dull knife awaits.... Ahem, time to move on.
"Excuse me, do I have something on my face?" He really had just asked me that.
Isaac dressed James this morning to be helpful. I couldn't tell if he was a'comin or a'goin.
And because I promised you, Rivka. Here's a video of Baby James (as he will ever be known to me) and Baby Audrey. I had just changed their diapers and they were lingering to chat with one another. If that girl had a fan club James would be prez! I'm not sure why my voice sounds like I've just inhaled a large balloon's worth of helium. Ignore it.
An old one I found at the bottom of the diaper bag: Our little three-person family shortly after arriving in Iowa for dental school. Do you remember these, Carrie? Your mom was so sweet to take them! I love Michael's smile--the smile of the innocent about to enter the realm of hell. Like the baby cooing to the nice nurse before she brutally administers the shots; like the 4-H lamb gleefully parading around the ring at fair time as people call out how much they'd like to pay per pound of his flesh; like Istefan the turkey given a trail of grain to lure him to the chopping block where a dull knife awaits.... Ahem, time to move on.
"Excuse me, do I have something on my face?" He really had just asked me that.
7 comments:
THANK YOU! I watched it about 5 times in a row. I can't wait to see these critters. And their critter of a mama, of course. DF sista. LOVED the video. And the gallant knights. How cute!
You crack me up, my cheeky friend! {Don't actually know if I'm using that adjective correctly--it just seemed right.} Oh my heavens, is that little baby of yours the cutest thing ever?
You are so funny! I love your posts! The things you think of...I love it! Your family is precious! I need more kids!:)
That was a random (yet wonderful) collection of photos! I (like James) wonder half the time whether I'm coming or going too...he and I should really hang out some time!
Sorry I didn't call you back the other day, one day we just might finish a good, long conversation! If I had my way...we'd talk every day!
That photo is of Morganna Roberts, an entertainer who became known as the "Kissing Bandit." She flourished from the early 70s through the 80s.
According to scholarly sources,
"Her claim to fame is her kissing chutzpah and her large breasts. Her measurements were often reported to be 60-23-39. She distinguished herself from the dumb blonde stereotype with her wit as displayed during her appearances on Johnny Carson and David Letterman's late-night talk shows. She frequently quipped that fellow busty sex symbol Dolly Parton was "flat-chested" compared to her.
Her modus operandi was to obtain a front row seat and wear a large, bulky jacket to somewhat disguise her identity. When a particular star was on the field, she would whip off the jacket, dash onto the field wearing a T-shirt and gym shorts and plant a harmless kiss on the player's lips, usually evoking a sheepish grin from him and an appreciative roar from the crowd. She was arrested each time, for disorderly conduct, which merely served to fuel her career and notoriety. Texas attorney Richard "Racehorse" Haynes once introduced the not entirely serious "gravity defense" for her, in which it was argued that her top-heavy condition caused her to fall over the railing and onto the field." (Wickipedia)
Authorities differ widely as to how closely related you may be to Morganna. Since you were procured from the Apache Adoption Agency, without papers, we will probably never know for sure. Sorry.
Thanks for the info, Pop. Well I know two things for sure: I didn't get her figure, or her fondness for gym shorts. Woe is me.
I'm naming my first girl Morganna, as a tribute to you both.
Post a Comment