Sunday, July 19, 2009
Eden
I'm pretty sure we live in the distant west wing of the Garden of Eden. I love living in Oregon and I'm more than happy to deal with the rain when this is the reward. Below is some of the bounty we've harvested over this last week, all straight from their plants (minus the canary melon. We bought that from the farmers market).
We went cherry picking yesterday. There were two huge ladders which Michael and I used. The kids just climbed the trees and were usually higher than us. After warning Jacob to be careful he said, "Ha! Me be careful? Remember when we went picking when you were pregnant with James and the lady said that she didn't want you on a ladder because you were pregnant so instead you just climbed the trees with us to get the cherries?" Yep. I remember. That was fun!
As we shucked corn at the local farmers market this last week Clara came across one with a caterpillar knawing it's way through. The lady next to us cringed at it, but my kids acted like it was Christmas! Everyone abandoned their cobs to have a look at Clara's new pet, then vigorously resumed their shucking in the hopes that theirs would turn up a caterpillar too. She kept that caterpillar three days waiting for it to turn into a butterfly until Jacob, in a fit of meanness, fed it to Torchik the chicken.
I've decided that personalities can be categorized either by the color code, or by how one approaches blueberry picking. For instance, we went picking last week (wish it could have been in your field, Miriam!) and it was interesting for me to see how each of my children went about the task. Jacob picked with supreme focus until he decided that we had plenty of berries, then he took James by the hand and they went from row to row sampling the berries to see which was the very best variety. I had told the kids (after the woman in charge told them to eat as many as they wanted) that they could eat one for every 10 they picked, and that they couldn't eat any out of their bowls, it must be from the bush. Isaac counted every berry he picked until he hit 1000. Then he camped himself under the most loaded bush he could find and leisurely ate 100 blueberries. Clara filled her bowl then hid under a bush and ate the entire contents. Then she'd reappear and fill the bowl, then disappear and eat, and so on. William picked four berries (because "he's four") then spent the rest of his time making spider traps. James just smiled and made friends with everybody there. I had about seven adoption offers by the time we were done. Audrey slept in the shade of a large bush, and I thought to myself that if ever something happened to my dear husband, I would make a living picking blueberries and cherries. (For some reason Michael doesn't think that would cut it.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Those are really beautiful.
I can TOTALLY grow all that same stuff in LV...ha, ha! In fact, we were reading about the creation in the Old Testament and we decided that Christ forgot Las Vegas when he did the water and the trees & shrubbery. I guess I'll have to look at your pictures and drool instead!
Beautiful! Somehow, lovely produce inspires me to cook :-). Unfortunately, our garden has been less than stellar this season...one pepper and two tomatoes. Our pumpkin, cucumber, one pepper, and one tomato plant have given us nothing. I guess we'll have to try something different next year!
Post a Comment