Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Sunday, July 19, 2009

Chicken Update

The process:Figuring out how to make a floor and frame. (For all you folks who actually know how to do this stuff, please don't cringe too much. This is what's known as an internet/library crash course in building!)
I got lots of comments from concerned neighbors on whether or not I should be building things at 9+ months pregnant. What do they expect me to do, sit around?
Ready for walls, roof and nesting boxes.
Adam took a moment from mission preparations to come visit and help with any projects around the house. Yes, I had projects for him! The roof was one thing I didn't think I could do safely, so the Boose obliged.

Nearly finished. Michael was in charge of the pen. Big job, and he tackled it with all the precision of an endodontist!

Isaac showing us how the nesting boxes work. He especially loved those.Fairly completed chicken coop. Just had to do the trim and paint. Some day I'll get to that. But for now it works. We know this because...

... we got our first egg! Our little chickies, Henwyn, Torchik (layer of prized egg, in Clara's arms), Cinnamon, Buckbeak (in Isaac's) and Snowball (in Jake's) seem quite happy with the loving abuse they receive.

4 comments:

Whitney said...

absolutely amazing. love the coop with the boxes so you don't even have to step a foot inside to get the eggs. Genius.

Elizabeth said...

That's awesome!

Allens, Inc. said...

Yes, Whitney, that was the plan. I didn't want my little chicken lovers to be tracking guano in every time they checked for eggs. As it happens the plan worked out pretty well. Now I just need to finish the project...

Jody said...

Hey, I need your plans. My chickens will be laying eggs real soon and we have no chicken coop or nesting boxes yet. Where did you get you idea from. Don't want to be a day late!!! jodywalunas@hotmail.com