Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Friday, March 6, 2009

A Good Reminder

"I should never have known how ladies and gentlemen really behaved, if it hadn't been for Colonel Pickering. He always showed what he thought and felt about me as if I were something better than a common flower girl. You see, apart from the things one can pick up, the difference between a lady and a flower girl is not how she behaves, but how she is treated. I shall always be a common flower girl to Professor Higgins, because he always treats me like a common flower girl, and always will. But I know that I shall always be a lady to Colonel Pickering, because he always treats me like a lady, and always will."

Eliza Doolittle, My Fair Lady

5 comments:

scooping it up said...

I love the idea behind this. Treating people as who they are: Gods in embryo. It smacks of truth doesn't it? -- her hair in this photo is divine.

Chace & Rivka said...

That reminds me of a quote I heard from Audrey Hepburn, about how even when her face was smeared with dirt and they sprayed her with a hose to make Eliza Doolittle look like the common, haggard flower girl, she never forgot that she was a lady, and she always wore her Chanel perfume under Eliza's dingy clothes.
Interesting. Boy she's beautiful.

Norris Fam said...

Anna-

You are Eliza Doolittle in my eyes...one very special "lady".

MKMT said...

I want her hair!!! And dress, and figure, and coloring... oh bother, where will it end?

Kristal said...

I agree with Norris lady, you're the modern day Doolittle!
Uh, off the subject, but I had a dream that I ran into you at our "gross"ery store here and you were 3 months farther along than me and NOT showing and I was a huge cow so I told you we can't be friends. How mean huh? Sorry, we can.