It is with great enthusiasm that we announce some new additions to our little suburban homestead: Chickens!

What an ordeal jumping through the hoops to secure a livestock permit and finally get them. We were required to obtain the signatures of all residents within 200 feet of our property (the sheer number made me feel claustrophobic!).

One old man refused saying he didn't want to buy any chickens. I patiently explained that he didn't have to, just we were getting chickens. He said he didn't want us to have roosters. I assured him that I didn't either. "Nope. I'm not gonna sign nothin'! First you say your just gettin' chickens, then you get roosters, then come the skunks..." So I kicked him in the shins, and left. Actually, I thanked him for his time, and escorted Jacob back to the car. Whereupon Jake announced to all his siblings that we couldn't get chickens because of that mean old man. Weeping and wailing broke out amongst the masses until I told everybody that if they weren't quiet I wouldn't sign either. Silence.
We went back to the police station, where I sweet talked the police chief into seeing things my way, "...and besides, his house is ever so far from our's. He didn't seem to understand anything I was saying. I'm not sure it's quite fair..." So he "double-checked" the footage, and determined that his house was indeed just beyond what was necessary. Thank you very much! A little morning field trip to the feed store, and we're on our way! Below is the picture of contentedness.

Someone else is excited for our new friends...

Seamus the devil cat has been faithfully keeping an eye on these little chicks, hoping that some day one might stray from its tupperware... Thanks, Mom and Lizzie, for visiting and participating whole-heartedly in the chickie festivities. Now all we have to do is research how to build a coop then build it. Pictures of that to come.
14 comments:
How fun!! I'm excited you guys got chickens. The picture of your cat freaks me out!!
That's the freaking meanest picture of your killer cat. Um, and when those chicks grow up and you find a rooster amongst them, DELIVER IT TO HOLD MAN NO SIGNER! Whatta punk! WE love our chickens. We're going to get even more this Easter. We're down to 5...we started with 9...we killed one, one was a rooster, and I think the rest ran off...our coop sucks! But heck, we get 5 eggs a day from those suckers! They're the best! Congrats on the new addition.
I LOVE my chickens!! If you make a run in your back yard, they'll be ever so happy, and keep bugs down for you. You can let them in your veggie garden in the early evening, and they'll clean that up too.
Oh good luck!!
I am so jealous...ever since the kids Kindergarten class hatched chicks last year I look online all the time to see how feasible Chickens in Coppell would be. Alas...not gonna happen. I will live vicariously through the Allens. What fun!
Seamus is awesome...old man who lives down the lane, Punk!...2 words, Karma dude!
So fun Anna! Justin and I have been talking about getting some chicks ourselves but we will see. Your kids are so cute! I can not believe how your family has grown since I saw you last. I love it!!
He totally looks like a devil cat...maybe the mean neighbor has taken over your cat's body and is burning with anger over your deliberate disobedience of his wishes. I'd watch out for him if I were you...
Just so you know, Kallie told her primary teacher that we were getting chickens! Ha! Lying in church!
You are the best mom ever! I love the picture of Seamus! Hilarious!
we always had chickens growing up and we loved them, they are very entertaining to watch.
Our lot is 40% too small to have chickens, so I can't wait until we move. :o) In the meantime, I've been reading The City Chicken, which is full of great info, including Chicken Tractors.
Have fun!
Seamus the devil cat is my favorite part of that post. Okay, that's not true--the old man comments were the best. Do roosters attract skunks? Is that what the deal is?
Roosters themselves don't attract skunks and racoons, just stink and junk in general, which we won't have. This guy just didn't want roosters because they're noisy. In my experience, it is only a myth that roosters crow at dawn. They crow whenever they feel like it, sometimes every three hours if they're especially obnoxious ones. And they can be mean. I remember one rooster we had that attacked my little brother one too many times. Unfortunately for him, he did it next to my mom who happened to be trimming her roses with some very sharp shears. We had chicken that night for dinner. No, no roosters for us.
Ah, yes, I fondly recall the summer the neighbors had three or four juvenile roosters...every time they wound up to crow they'd get halfway through before their cock-a-doodle-doo cracked. They were persistent though, and kept it up all day. Lucky for me my bedroom window faced that side of the house, I can now imitate a juvenile rooster near perfectly...
Congratulations on your new little friends. :) We plan to get some chickens someday too - but first there's a few more years of fellowships to finish . . .
Oh my goodness, that's hilarious!
Wow, your own chickens? Here I was proud of myself for finally deciding to plant a garden in our backyard!
Post a Comment