Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

James!

This little boy is a bona fide expert at tormenting his older brother. At the ripe age of nine months old I saw him deliberately licking his finger and wiping it on William to provoke kaniptions, over and over again--and smiling about it. By 12 months he was handily dodging blows, and since then it's just gotten worse. This easy going James Grey is destined to be the thorn in the not-so easy going William's side. (I'm sure Michael can sympathize, having yoked himself indefinitely to me.)

We were at the grocery store two days ago and James was making a series of squeaking noises, watching William closely for any reaction. Once he got one, James' face lit up with a grin and he made that particular squeak over and over again while Will went berzerk. As we squeezed ourselves past a kid reloading the bread aisle I had had enough. "James! You knock it off and be nice!" The guy loading the bread jumped out from behind his load with wide eyes and said, "What! I didn't...!" I looked at him startled, and he looked at me, then he sheepishly slunk behind his bread mumbling something about there being too many Jameses around here. It was hilarious! I laughed the rest of the shopping trip, in between reprimanding James for teasing his brother.

4 comments:

Staci said...

He is adorable! I love his facial expression!. I never understood the whole sibling thing until having kids and now I am so glad I was an only child. No I am just kidding. What a cutie!

Bjorn to Rok said...

That is a funny story! I can picture that experiance. Wish I could have been there to see it!

MKMT said...

I wonder where he got his teasing streak ("Just kidding")!

Norris Fam said...

I remember him doing that last summer when you came to visit...he's just been perfect his skills since then it sounds like. And there can never be too many James' in the world...look at that kid!

Also...you can come anytime (I'm SERIOUS)! Tomorrow...sure!