Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Ode to Megsy

Clara Margaret (aka Meg, Meggy, Megsy, or simply Princess Margaret, as the sovereign herself occasionally requests) surprised me one morning with the fact that she could read. After some lengthy errands we were hunting for a suitable place to eat lunch.
Clara: “Why don’t we go to ‘Open’ for lunch?” (Pronounced ah-pen.)
“Open?” I said. “Where’s that?”
“Oh, they’re all over the place. There’s one there, and there…” pointing to stores as we passed. As I looked I realized they were all over the place: the car wash was open, the video store was open, the bank was open, etc. We finally decided on an Open that was associated with food.
I admire this little girl. She is a true tomboy, sweetly defined once as “she can rough and tumble with the best of them but wears a sundress like it's second nature.” One of my favorite stories is actually sort of creepy. I was napping one day, along with the rest of the family. I was in a half-sleep stupor when through the daze I heard clip, then a little raspy feminine voice murmur, “Oh, Mommy. You look soooo pretty…” Clip. I practically jumped from my bed to find a wide-eyed Princess Margaret sitting on my pillow with some large scissors and a small pile of long dark hair in her lap. Thankfully my hair was pretty layered then and Michael swore he couldn’t see any holes, that he wasn’t just preserving the life of his only daughter.Meg is the only child I’ve ever had a clear and obvious spiritual prompting on behalf of. I’ve had impressions with the others, to ask a question or to say something, or give someone a hug instead of time-out, etc., but with this one it was obvious. I was stirring a pot of spaghetti sauce for dinner one warm evening in Texas when I had a picture in my mind of Clara falling off the top of our shed roof (15-20 ft. high, concrete below). Interesting, I thought, since she’s in there watching football with Michael and the boys. Thought I’d check anyhow. Of course, she wasn’t watching football, so I ran outside to find little naked, diapered 2 yr. old Meg scaling the fence with one precarious foot on the roof of the shed. Close call. All sets of this girl’s guardian angels are in full swing all the time I’m fairly sure.
Once I called Clara "Muffin" (Michael’s nickname for her). “Um, Mom, could you please not call me that?”
“Why not? Your daddy does.”
“Yes,” she explained patiently, “but he doesn’t make me think he wants to eat me.” I guess one must have a certain degree of instinctual self-preservation when they live in a little pink cream puff body, with honey hair, strawberry lips and blueberry ice eyes. I had to laugh. (And Michael’s still the only one allowed to call her Muffin.)
It suffices to say, I love this daughter of mine. She causes me fits sometimes, and it was clear from minute three after her birth she was going to be our hardest child (this premonition has proven true). But she creates equal parts joy in our family. I hope I can help her decide to be a strong, intelligent, virtuous woman someday. Someday, but today we’ll play with her pet frogs. Below, at swimming lessons just after her 2nd birthday in TX. Watching her was sort of like watching ducklings jump out of their treetop nest. Have you seen that? Well, there's a taste of Clara Margaret!

7 comments:

Jeannetta said...

I had a spiritual prompting over spaghetti once too. The Lord must love spaghetti.
She is definately one that keeps me in stitches here :)
But, in fairness, ALL of your children are simply hysterical :D

Norris Fam said...

You never told me that she gave you a haircut...that is a great story! Actually all of your stories are great, even ones about muffins :)

Kelly said...

You always make me smile you clever girl. I sure miss my darling oregon cousins! Especially the temporary texans!

Staci said...

Clara is such a sweetie and Miss Alissa sure misses you Clara! I love all the cute and funny insight!

scooping it up said...

love this post. the hair cut would have meant certain death in this house!

Laurie said...

You should have heard all the gasps and laughs as I read this post. That spaghetti story gave me chills. Thank goodness you're so freakin' spiritual!

I want to eat all of my children too. yum yum

Julie said...

I can't believe how big she is! As cute as ever! Seeing your family pics makes me miss you guys. With all of Clara's mischief, I'm impressed you find a chance to sneak away to the computer now and then!
Hugs!