Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Bad Idea

One early morning not so long ago, in a place not so far away, a girl named Anna went on a brisk walk with her friend Mary. As they travelled on the woodland path running between the river and the train tracks they talked about their families' pasts and learned that each had had a grandfather who was a hobo. Oh, how this aroused Anna's slumbering desire to jump a train someday. "That's a stupid idea," said her wise friend. And though Anna had to agree, she couldn't shake the intoxicating feeling of adventure.

Just then the smokey sound of engine could be heard through the trees as a rasping old locomotive rounded the hill behind them. "Oh, Mary! Now's our chance!" Mary repeated to Anna that she thought it was a foolish fancy, coupled with the fact that there was no way to get to the tracks. Mary was firm. Finally Anna admitted again that Mary was right and wise beyond her years. But as they walked they came upon a small forgotten trail winding amongst the blackberries from their path to the tracks. It was lined with ribbon and gumdrops and midgets beckoning to them to come. Wise Mary was hesitant, but agreed to witness Anna's fleeting hobo career. Anna took her running start and jumped onto the train, letting the fresh wind whip her dark hair behind her. She let out a gleeful whoop and waved to Mary as she passed. Then Anna jumped off, her heart filled with the mystery and triumph of danger defeated. She ran to Mary, who was faltering in her resolve. "Okay, that looked fun. I'll try it too," said Mary. Mary backtracked then ran in the direction of the train until she was even in speed. As she jumped onto the extended ladder her hand barely missed the dewey bar, causing her to slip, and after a split second of valiantly holding on with her other hand she landed hard on the rocks inches from the tracks, limbs flailing in disoriented confusion. Anna, having run beside the train with Mary, grabbed an arm on its way to sudden death beneath the wheels and rolled Mary away from under the train and out of harm's way.

Lying face down, Mary moaned as Anna examined the wound on the back of her head and double checked that each limb and digit was in place. Soothingly, she encouraged Mary to lie still, then wildly looked about making sure nobody had witnessed the illegal activities of their morning. All clear. Eventually, Mary was able to sit up, then stand with Anna under her arm. They slowly picked their way back through the blackberries (the midgets having disappeared), and continued on their way home.

Mary recovered completely, though she suffered a headache for the next two days. Coming home that morning, Anna was racked with guilt at what had almost happened to her friend. Upon telling her husband (who wasn't surprised--should she be offended?) about it, he replied, "Do you know how many people die each year from trains? That was a bad idea."

7 comments:

Staci said...

Okay Anna, that literally just made me laugh harder than...hmm..I can not even remember the last time I laughed that hard. Thanks for setting an example and livin' it up and always having fun!! Hope your friend is okay too.

Holly Ogden said...

Oh Anna! I cannot believe that! Ok, I can believe it because it is you. But wow. That is a great story.

Laurie said...

Oh Anna, I LOVE YOU! The best part about that story is that it's TOTALLY TRUE! You're so great.

So...how many people a year die from trains?

Allens, Inc. said...

Yes, I'm sorry to say it's true (all except the midgets, though I'm sure they were there in spirit).

kristal said...

That's it. You're my coolest friend! I'm coming up there next year and we're going to spend the day jumping on trains until those midgets come back out!

Norris Fam said...

Just so you know Anna Allen, I would jump a train with you anytime...I love you that much!

Jeannetta said...

My children are in awe! Note to self 'do not leave children at Anna's house'. Giggle
How crazy you two are! lol