Henredon Sofa dies at age 45-ish

Today an era in the Mikkelsen family ended: The old sofa, which was the obvious focal point of every decorating scheme, was taken to its final resting place at the local dump having lived a long and fulfilling life.
It began its life stylishly in a prominent law office in Portland, Oregon where it dwelled happily for several years. By '83, though still in its prime, it was thought to be outdated and out-lived. A humble junior attorney recognized its value and rescued it from certain death, bringing it home to his own family room. And it lived there as the veritable heart--or maybe a ventricle--of their home (and it matched nicely with the cinnamon carpet!). It was on this sofa that many of their children learned to read, where gripping Little House on the Prairie episodes were absorbed, where guinea pigs romped with their tenders.
From house to house this sofa moved until the first of their 10 children was married. The daughter and her new husband were bequeathed the sofa as a gift to furnish their first little home. It became an integral fixture once again. It served as a couch a time or two for the husband when the bed just wasn't big enough for the both of them, and there the young mother often nestled with her nursing babes in the twilight hours. Grandchildren learned to read there, and the little sofa, having gone full circle was showing signs of wear. But what is a little wear when it is the wear of dear friends bouncing up and down when they've guessed the right answer in a rousing game of charades, or a faint stain from "Grandma, put your feet up and I'll bring you something warm to drink"?
But as with all living things, time catches up and nature inevitably takes its course. Exposed upholstery nails began scratching innocent arms, and stray springs started poking. Ever widening tears swallowed errant treasures causing angst and tears as little blind hands explored the gastric workings of the sofa in attempted reclamation. Finally, the decision was made that practicality must at some point override sentiment. It was time to bury our dead. The sofa has left no genetic legacy that we know of, only that legacy of service and comfort which lives in our grateful hearts.

6 comments:
So what does the new sofa look like?
Hi'a J! How is live in your beautiful new home? Our new sofa is reddish with brocade flowers. It is okay. One of Michael's employees was over dropping something off and the next day called to say that her mother-in-law was giving her old couch away for free and would we like it...hint, hint. It will work until I can stomach the idea of spending money on a new set, and this old girl was getting pretty ragged.
Give all your peeps high-fives from the Allens. Sure missed having you folks around this summer!
I wept openly and unashamedly to hear of your loss. I should have seen it coming: "For all sofas are as grass, and all the glory thereof as the flower of grass. The grass withers, and the flower thereof falls away." I just wasn't ready for it so soon.
Peuo
When Jack saw the 80's family pic, he asked if you were Uncle Pietr... I still have tears in my eyes from laughing!!! Ah, if only I'd married first so I could have been gifted with THE couch... I still resent you. Thanks for opening an old wound.
I'm going to miss the old girl :(
Carrie, you can sympathize. I started that post as a joke, but found my sentimental self genuinely sad by the end. You know it's bad when you need to take a walk by yourself after taking your old couch to the dump. So many memories....
Post a Comment