Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

"You need to evaluate yourselves carefully. Take a careful inventory of your habits, your speech, your appearance, your weight, and your eccentricities, if you have any. Take each item and analyze it. Can you make some sacrifices to be acceptable? You must be the judge.

"Are you too talkative? Too withdrawn? Too quiet? If so, then school your thoughts and your expressions.

"Are you in the wrong location? Could a move to a new location open up a new world to you? "Is your dress. . . too revealing or too extreme? Are you too demanding? Do you have any eccentricities in speech, in tone, in subject matter? Do you laugh too loudly? Are you too demonstrative? Are you selfish? Are you honorable in all things? . . . Do you feel sorry for [yourself?]

"Have you made yourself attractive physically — well-groomed, well-dressed — and attractive mentally — engaging, interesting? Are you well-read? If not, change yourself."

--Spencer W. Kimball, to young adults
(Borrowed from my padre's blog.)

5 comments:

Jeannetta said...

Wow, looks like I have some work to do :)

scooping it up said...

I have had a hard time relating to Kimball at times because I feel his words are so direct. As an adult I feel my challenge is to hear the love behind them. But he's always intimidated me. This quote exemplifies my teenage fear of him!

J said...

I love President Kimball. I love it when the prophets call for self inspection. Some of my favorite talks from Pres. Hinckley were when he would challenge us to stand taller and lift our sights. It is in such stark contrast to the "all is well in Zion" attitude we can fall into. I don't know what inspired you to share the quote but thanks.

Norris Fam said...

Hmmmm...are you in the wrong location? How should I answer that question? :)

Allens, Inc. said...

My inspiration, Julienne? I see the high school kids walking home past my front window every day. I'd say that inspired me. And I happened to see myself in the mirror yesterday. That inspired (and scared) me.

President Kimball can be intimidating, but his directness is exactly what I appreciate about him. You know where you stand and what's expected. This idea of cultivating self is not a new one, but is completely opposite from today's popular and coarse attitude of, "I am how I am, so deal with it." People are generally happier when they are agreeable and likeable.