Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Saturday, October 10, 2009

Forgeries and Worms

Clara was supposed to turn in a reading log, with daily notations by Momma that it had been done. The girl reads constantly but I'm dismal at recording it. "Don't worry about it, Mom!"
Let's have a closer look at that, shall we?
And so it begins.... What do you say, Mom and Dad? She just might be a chip off the old block yet. (She actually turned this in. Her teacher did not give her credit for it.)

At Jacob's soccer game last Saturday I spotted a big worm between Will's feet and brought it to his attention. The kids all admired his new pet until Michael told Clara he'd pay her $5 to eat it. "No way, Dad! That's way too gross." But Isaac's ear perked up, "Really? Five bucks?" He watched the worm wiggle in his hand for a moment, then swapped out his gum for the worm, felt it squirm in his mouth, described the taste to get a reaction from his sister (and the old woman sitting next to us who was watching the whole scene with supreme disgust), gagged for a moment as it creeped down his throat, swallowed, popped in his gum, then smilingly held out his hand to Michael for his $5. Later he said that was way easier than pulling out five teeth!
Later in the week:
As I walked into the kitchen and saw our dejected hobbled cat: "Kids, is there something wrong with Seamus?"

Collectively: "We couldn't tell. Better to be safe than sorry."

Somehow I don't think poor Seamus would agree with that one.

8 comments:

Jeannetta said...

You guys crack me up!
Ask Clara what she wants me to bring her in prison, tell Issac I'm going to be sick, and give Seamus a hug :D

Unknown said...

Your tales from the Apache Adoption Agency always bring a delightful giggle to my heart

in other news...are you coming to Chi-town for our little girls weekend/getaway? I am hoping to see you!

Laurie said...

Oh my goodness, I wouldn't have believed that worm story if it had come from anyone else but one of your boys. CLASSIC! Love it!

And Clara's professional forgery still has me smiling. :-)

Lots of love to you, my friend!

Woodside's said...

Your poor little Seamus! What a cute cat! Your kids are so funny! I love to read all the fun things happening at your house! So entertaining!

Norris Fam said...

I can just picture Michael laughing for hours about his son eating a worm. I love Isaac's logic about the whole thing :)

Are you really going to come running with me in January???

I'm sure we can round up a babysitter somewhere...

Amber said...

I know I comment way to often, but I love the things your kids do! Clara and Autumn would really hit is off, by the way. Autumn has done similar things. :)

Chace & Rivka said...

Looks like Megsy needs a little lesson from the master forger: her MOTHER! I mean, c'mon. Are you really surprised? She IS your offspring after all. And Isaac is nasty--as always. And I love it. And however the whole animal salvation thing works, I'm pretty sure that Seamus has a mansion in heaven. Even if he does drink once in a while...

Anonymous said...

Way to go Mike, only you would seriously bribe your kids to eat a worm :) Clara could give Ezri a run for the money on, shall we say, "clever" behavior!!:D Heather