Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

"We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms--to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.

"And there were always choices to make. Every day, every hour, offered the opportunity to make a decision...which determined whether or not you would become a plaything of circumstance, renouncing freedom and dignity.... In the final analysis it becomes clear that the sort of person the prisoner became was the result of an inner decision, and not the result of camp influences. He may retain his human dignity even in a concentration camp."

--Viktor Frankl, Man's Search For Meaning

4 comments:

Amber said...

How sad that I haven't read that book...this is inspiration to go get it tomorrow. I am so bummed that I missed your call, Anna! I hope to talk to you soon!

Jeannetta said...

You are the second one in two days to bring this to my attention. I imagine the Lord is trying to tell me something :) Thanks for being the messenger.

Laurie said...

Love this quote. It always makes me think and re-evaluate.

kristal said...

My gosh Anna. Way to make my goose bumps and guilt both take charge! I've got the worst attitude of everyone in the world. Not kidding. Jase makes me listen to Stephen Covey's 7 habits all the time hoping that it'll make me be less of a complainer. Great quote...got more that could make me be you?