Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Monday, February 9, 2009

Irreverence And Frozen Underwear

This year church has been moved to a difficult time of day for our family. Right smack in the middle of naps for the two youngest boys. Consequently, we find ourselves constantly battling tears and tantrums during the first hour. This Sunday, however, was different. It was a battle of another kind.

Michael and I have tried to be diligent in the keeping of high expectations during sacrament meeting: no food, no playing or reading books until after the sacrament is over, folded arms and no talking or wiggling during the sacrament, etc. We were doing pretty well keeping things under control yesterday during this special 15 minutes until James decided he was done being reverent. He wanted to get down and walk around. Since it was that or a tantrum (and I was feeling extra pregnant that day), I let him down to walk back and forth along our row. Naturally, all the kids watched him for lack of something more interesting. At one point he lost his balance (the poor boy already walks like a drunken sailor) and knocked his head on the back of the pew in front of us, which threw his body into the bench, then he bounced back hitting his head on the pew, then body on the bench...about six times. Our entire family burst into muffled laughter. We got a grip for about 3 seconds, then looked at each other and laughed again even harder. Michael was bent over as if praying, hands covering face, but the telltale shake of the shoulders gave him away. Then I spotted the people behind us laughing because we were, then the people in front and on the side, and the second counselor on the stand. It was irreverent. Clara was sent out to get ahold of herself, and I almost sent myself out. What a scene!

Fast forward a few hours. What to make for dinner? Let's look in the freezer. How about some frozen corn, frozen chicken, frozen...

...underwear?

The kids thought it would be a fun experiment to moisten their underwear (tap water) and freeze it to see just how it would feel going on. Don't know that I'll be reporting back the results, though the hypothesis is that they'll feel "cold and crunchy."

...And then somebody stole Jake's underwear straight from the freezer to make themselves an iced tankie. What is this world coming to?

7 comments:

Birrd said...

I think YOU should try it too! Can't wait to hear the results!

Amber said...

I want to be adopted into your fun family. Have I said that before?
P.S. I am nervous about what that homemade underwear bra looks like in the front. Yikes.

Norris Fam said...

Note to self...don't eat anything out of Anna's freezer!

Bjorn to Rok said...

That little underbra is the sickest thing I've seen in a while. I can't believe it! Too funny. Thanks for the laugh.

MKMT said...

WHERE in the WORLD do you find pictures like the Hanes bra? I won't be able to sleep tonight.

Holly Ogden said...

Anna Allen, your family cracks me up. I am going right now to get some of Noah's Hanes and make myself a bra. What a great idea!
...sick and wrong.

The Ross Family said...

I can totally picture this. I love your stories, and esp. how you tell them. What a great time you must have.