Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Saturday, February 21, 2009

Valentine's Day

Generally Michael and I give the "gift of self" (as my older sister likes to say) for minor holidays like this--back rubbing coupons, a delectable dessert and a date, etc. But this year Michael out did himself by presenting me with the project that he and an old Austrian woodworker in our ward (repaired some of the most famous cathedrals in Salzburg after WWII) had been working on for over half a year. Michael loved this time with him to speak German exclusively and reminisce about the beauties of that corner of the world. They began with some raw planks of black walnut and created this out of it.
I wish I had photos of the whole process but, alas, I wasn't allowed to see it until Valentine's. Franz, our friend, affectionately joked that Michael had gone over the entire thing at least thrice with a dentist's tooth buffer to get it just right for me. I am so excited for the last step (only the base is left--can you tell?) to be complete so we can move it inside and enjoy this beautiful work of art! (Though I know I'm going to cringe for the first year each time a child touches it, let alone eats off it!)

I decided to get fancy too, and I put together a stupid poem and picture for Mikey to put in his office. If it were a contest, I'd say I won!

8 comments:

Norris Fam said...

I remember the day I got my new table (which wasn't even a hand made piece of are) one of our friends little boys spilled hot chocolate on it. All I could do was say (out loud) "Welcome to the Norris house little table."

That table is beautiful!!!

PS- what are you doing March 13th & 14th??? I'll be calling!

Norris Fam said...

sorry...I really should proof read my comments. I meant "work of art" not "work of are". dumb...

JennyLynn said...

It looks incredible! I am impressed with the love and effort that went into that table.

Bjorn to Rok said...

Beautiful! Do you think Michael has any extra time/wood to make his favorite bro in law and sis in law a table?? At least do it for Gwacie!!

Great job Michael!

Amber said...

That is awesome! What a beautiful table! Did you write that cute, clever poem, and draw the picture? Amazing.

Allens, Inc. said...

No, I stole it from Shel Silverstein. I guess I should put that on there, huh? Maybe next Valentine's I'll fix it...

Staci said...

Wow, that is a beautiful table! Any ideas how may hours went into it? Seriously my first thought was uh oh..kids and table, might not mix. That is such a great Valentine's gift! You are one lucky woman! I love the poem too!

kristal said...

I love that you call your poem stupid! You're awesome. Um, wow Michael, Jase is going to hate you when he gets home and I say, "look what Anna got for Valentine's day"...he gave the "gift of self"..blah!!!