In an attempt to combat my growing suspicion that this blog is completely useless in it's purpose of illustrating meaninful moments in the Allen family (last post, for instance), I am going to tell an experience that happened today which touched me.
Late last night I received a phone call informing me that a lady in our church had just died unexpectedly. Because I am responsible for the childrens program in our church, I believe it was considered pertinent information for me since they have two small girls. Our family had a prayer for them, then I called the girls' teachers, and adjusted the sharing time lesson I had prepared.
Michael stayed home with the two youngest boys today (Will was under the weather and James is a pain when I have to teach sharing time), so it was just me and the older three. We were sitting on one side of the chapel when I saw the father walk in with his kids on the other side part way through the meeting. Eventually I decided I couldn't bear seeing them on that pew all by themselves, not flanked on the other side by a mom or even another family. Jake and I snuck out the back, Isaac and Clara quietly tucked away with friends, and walked around to the other side and went and sat by them. It may have been presumputuous, but it was the only thing I could think of. Near the end of the meeting the younger girl who is Clara's age, came and sat on my lap and burrowed her head into my armpit while she clutched a bracelet her mom had given her just before she died. I spent the last few minutes of the meeting fighting with my emotions and feeling so sad for these three kids (older brother in YM) who would go through the rest of their lives without their mother. All through Primary, this sweet girl just stared at her bracelet.
I feel one hundred percent confident that this family will be blessed and supported through the next months and years, and will be okay. I feel sure that it will be difficult. And I am certain that the Lord means it when he promises that a woman who is trying to be righteous, when bound to her family through the priesthood, will keep those relationships through eternity. All my eggs are in that basket.
Side note: I will never get used to little kids' frankness. Clara was sitting next to this little girl in her class, when I overheard her say, "Hi Hanna. Your mom died." Hanna said sadly, " I know." Then Clara, "I kind of know how you feel because a little while ago my grandma got sick and she died. It was sad too. But it would be worse to have your mom die. I guess everybody dies sometime. Your bracelet is pretty." Hanna, "Yeah, my mom gave it to me." Clara, "Ooo, that makes it extra pretty." Etc. Empathy incarnate, and even though I was a little alarmed at first I think it may have helped her just a little.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Wow! That is so touching-- sounds like Clara has her mom's compassion and understanding. Hey do we have the same calling? Miss you
Yep we do, any tips for me? I just got put in a few weeks ago, just in time to write and pull together the Sacrament program (this Sunday) Lucky for me I have the world's best chorister, Andy!
Bless little Clara. A open discussion was what she was prompted to do. Never underestimate the Lord's influence for frankness.
Hug her for me :D
Anna...you truly are a best friend to everyone who knows you! What a sad, sad story...
Oh...
What do you do sometimes? You're wonderful and exactly who I'd want to have around to see me through the tough times.
Post a Comment