Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Save Some Mony For the Old and Pore

What do you do when you discover that your daughter has been out on the corner with a giant homemade sign that says "Save some mony for the old and pore" (pictures of sad people included) and an upturned hat, wearing the dingiest clothes she can find?  Thank goodness we don't get too much traffic in this little neighborhood, mostly people walking their dogs who know Clara by name.  She did manage to grub up a few coins.  To my relief she later confided conspiratorially that they were her own, that she had employed the trick-or-treating tactic of leaving a few candies at the bottom of the pillowcase "so people can see that you've been trying and just haven't had much luck.  You know, then they feel sorry for you and stuff."  What do you do?

I'll be posting pictures of the demolition derby going on at our place soon.  Since buying this house we've been scrupulously saving up to add a master bathroom (one tub for 8 people gets a little tight on Sunday mornings).  We finally began....

4 comments:

J said...

Poor Clara (ha ha). I am sooo excited for you guys to start remodeling. I am going to drop by some day and check out the destruction. Did the boys get in on the action?

Chace & Rivka said...

Yes, pore, pore Clara! Not a bad idea... maybe I'll try that to save for our home improvement projects!

And when you said 'demolition derby' you know what came to mind, don't you? Douglas Co. fairgrounds. I hear D&K will be attending this year. Or has it already happened? Let me know. It might be worth a ticket...

Allens, Inc. said...

Ho ho! I forgot about that. That demolition derby included mobile homes and trailers with boats on them. No, this isn't that dramatic (though sometimes about as loud.) That one's not until the end of the summer. Yes, we'll be attending in full regalia!

Norris Fam said...

Oh hallelujah for the second bathroom...no wonder you sent Clara on the corner to gather coins. I'm so happy for you, life will suddenly feel like a piece of cake once you get that master bath.

I LOVE your living room too. You really should have a show on HGTV!