One June morning through the meadow goingDoris found a little daisy growing;
Blooming there, white and fair,
Nodding in the pleasant summer air,
"Tell me, daisy, quickly, truly tell,
If my dear one loves me well.
Will he be true till life is done?"
Then she plucked the petals one by one:
"He loves me! He loves me not!
(Alas, to be deserted is love's sorest smart!)
He loves me, he loves me not!
(Be still, be still the rapid beating of my heart!)
"He loves me, he loves me not!
(Beware oh little flow'ret, how you play your part!)
He loves me, he loves me not!
You lying little daisy, he loves me!
~John Prindle Scott
2 comments:
Original or plagiarized? Either way I liked it.
Plagarized. Thanks for reminding me! I'll go label it right now. It's a song that Mary B. gave me, which Clara and I are learning. It's a sweet melody too. Clara's favorite is the last line and she sings it with gumption.
Post a Comment