Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Dog, Anyone?

Have you ever heard that having a puppy is like having another child? Unless you have a Chinese Crested. Then it's more like having another teenager. Enjoy a tidbit of an email my sister Elizabeth sent:

Annie,

I couldn't resist sending this to you. I told you that I was looking at an exotic animal website. In addition to the wallabies, birds, zebu, etc., they also had some dogs, including Chinese Crested. On their site, they had this dog info to help inform potential buyers before they bought. Sure glad they did. Tell me when you want me to order one for you.

"Where the weather is dry you must keep the hairless dogs moisturized. One should bathe your dogs about every week or so during the summer, which includes a daily feet and belly rinse, and every 2 weeks during the winter. You can use a gentle oatmeal based Moisturizing Body lotion for the hairless.

"Some Cresteds, like people, are born with fair skin and some are born with better skin. Most of the Crested will go through a "teenage" period. This means that you may start to see more black heads and pimples to surface on the skin. This is normal, but some dogs will have no problem and others will have serious problems. Pimples may start around the age when their hormones are changing. With the Chinese Crested this can happen as early as 5 months of age to the age of a year old. The best secret is to keep them clean. During their acne period a nice daily wipe with a warm damp face cloth is sometimes the best remedy. If the problem persist (and it can last for a few months) or gets worst, you may try a lotion like Benzol or a gentle scrub like Noxzema. Remember to keep the skin clean. Talk to your vet and they might suggest a mild antibiotics, too."

Call me heartless, but any dog that goes through puberty and has acne breakouts on their nasty skin is a dog I don't want. But, to each his own. Tell me what you think!

10 comments:

Jeannetta said...

Eeewww! That's worse than a dog you have to brush! No thanks :)

scooping it up said...

oh. my. gosh.

H said...

Chinese crested? Ummmmm...no. It's enough to deal with my children's acne, but dog acne? Where's natural selection when you need it (for the dog, not the kids)?

Just Us said...

I can't even brush our dogs teeth without gagging. I could never deal with dog acne. Excuse me now, I have a serious case of the dry heaves.

Amber said...

I love it! The comments are exactly what I am thinking...I would be gagging for sure. I am quite vocal about our family not having a dog...one more breed to cross off the list! :)

Chace & Rivka said...

Only Liz would scout out such nasty canine trivia, and only you would post it on your blog for all the world to gag about. And that's why I love you both so. Remind me to write a post outlining the email she sent me about the effects of a brown recluse spider bite--complete with pictures.

Annalea said...

I feel sorry for the poor dogs that have the same diet-induced problems people do.

That said, I totally agree with everyone else: EEEEEWWWWW.

Susan Young said...

Hilarious... Oh by the way... this is Susan Young from Iowa. Remember me. I blog stocked you through Jessie Riley's blog. It is so good to see you.

About the dog. Who would be so insane? Seriously. Keeping my own children bathed and moisturized is a big enough of a deal. So fun to have found you. Happy Christmas... and dog and pony shopping.

Sharon said...

Sharon here, Michael's cousin through Uncle Bill and Gloria. Checking you out from Terry's site. This is amazing information, I was aware of dogs without hair but I'm with you on this one. And with five boys I can relate to the stinky boy syndrome, acne comes plenty with that whether you like it or not.

Laurie said...

Why oh why have I stayed away for so long?? Getting back into blogging was worth it for this post alone!!