Quote of the Day, part XLIV

Me, during Family Home Evening: "How can we repent of 'persecuting your brother'?"
William: "Pick me! I just barely did it!"

Jacob, when I showed him the twin coverlet I had purchased for his bed right before we moved:
"I like that. Whoa, wait! Are we really going to get beds that big?"
Me, thinking that this boy has been sleeping on a camping cot on the floor for entirely too long.
This move didn't come a day too early!

Thursday, April 23, 2009

What Color Are You?

So my sister lent me this book about personality colors. Let's just say, it was most intriguing. Probably the most remarkable thing about it was that Michael was interested too. He read the whole thing.

I am a Yellow. What is a Yellow? Here are some of the descriptions: happy, fun, uncommitted, irresponsible, enthusiastic, obnoxious, carefree, disorganized and incomplete, impulsive, charismatic, naive and trusting, a flippant chatterbox. "Happy is as happy does. Yellow people love themselves because they know exactly what they love to do and always find the time and resources to do it." In a nutshell, I'm happy and really annoying about it. My secondary color, about 30%, was White. They are the peacemakers. Ah, yes. That's me.

Now comes the "relationship" aspect. Michael is completely opposite. He took the test and is nearly split down the middle Blue/Red (slightly more Blue). Here's what it says about Blues: committed, perfectionistic, highly demanding, self-disciplined, sacrificing, unforgiving, worried, guilty, sincere, purposeful and dedicated, insecure, complex. "Life cannot bestow on anyone a more gratifying reward than the sincere appreciation and trust of a Blue friend, employer, or family member"...the trouble is getting their appreciation and trust. Reds are the tenacious people who keep the world turning so that the Yellows can have their fun.

Of those specific combinations it says, "Blues with strong Red secondary experience the most difficult internal struggles. They are also typically the most resourceful of personalities." I'll happily take that. "People with strong Yellow and White blends enjoy developed people skills. If you can't enjoy them, consider yourself the one with the problem." Finally, someone said what I've been thinking my WHOLE life! I'm going to have that printed on a shirt...or maybe 10 of them.

Mikey was reading The Color Code one night while I was watching something on TV. At one point he looked over at me, looked back at the book, looked over at me, put his arm around my shoulder and said, "Hey, You. What did you do that was fun today?" I laughed. In over 10 years of marriage he's never asked me that question. Every day is some variation of it, how was your day, what did you do today, etc. But never that approach. I appreciated it.

So if you ever need an interesting book to read, try The Color Code by Taylor Hartman. And if you're ever bewildered by your creepy spouse, just remember she may be a Yellow, or he may just be purple. Give 'em a break!

8 comments:

Staci said...

That is so cool! Ryan has used the color code to work with troubled youth for the last few years and we have had a blast with it! I totally knew you were those colors because you truly are the easiest funnest person to get along with. It is so fun to see all the updates of your adorable family!

Whitney said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE the color code. i've spent many a lonely night wondering how i could change my personality to be more "appealing"--but then it just makes me appreciate all you yellows even more. i'm with mikey--more blue than red, but a consternating mix of both (I love the example in the book of buying more than one type of dessert to make sure everyone finds something they like, then the red in me gets mad about spending all that durn money.) Purple? i like it.

Bjorn to Rok said...

Are you talking trash on blue again!! You better watch out, I might never forgive you for all your bad mouthing blue talk.

I love ya!

Allens, Inc. said...

I would never trash on my Blue Brothers. Some of my very favorite people are blue, including you sisters (Kath and Liz), life-saving friends (Whitney), and mine truly. The world would cease to turn if we all were yellows!

MKMT said...

Go RED! We may be haughty, unemotional, and disengaged from personal relationships, but darn it - we ARE productive, and what else really matters? Maybe that's why I want to paint my kitchen red - a reflection of my true self!

Steve and Angie said...

What a great book! How fun! There is also a great book about love languages, which I am sure you have at least heard of. The 5 Languages of love or something to that affect. It was fun to see what mine and Steve's love language is. Yellow is a great color to be!

Terry Tanner said...

OK. There's another book I hafta get!

Keri Blue said...

I'm a 50/50 split of Red and Blue...conflicted is the name of my game!!! The inner battle is always happenin'! Last time I took the test (about 2 years ago) I did have 1 white and a couple of yellows. I take it every few years just to check... :)

Love that book!